Waterjet & Laser Operator
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Peterson’s Welding and Machine has a reputation for being the most reliable machining, fabrication, and waterjet & laser cutting company in the Green Bay area. Come be a part of our winning team where we go the extra mile for our customers and employees. Since 1981 we’ve been providing personalized service, cutting-edge technology, quality control, and expertise in our field so customers get nothing less than the best.
Interested candidates will have experience operating a water jet and or laser, along with other power and hand tools, can accurately and precisely read a tape measure, and can read and understand blueprints and will have previous experience operating abrasive water jet cutting systems, and experience with nesting and programming software.
The following is a minimal description of specific areas of accountability for a Water Jet & Laser Operator:
- Program, set up & operate waterjet &/or laser cutting system.
- Safely load & unload material from waterjet &/or laser table.
- Safely move and handle large, heavy metal sheets, plates, and parts using proper equipment, including overhead crane and forklift.
- Cleaning, deburring, finishing & packaging of finished goods.
- Operation of support equipment for drilling, tapping, tumbling, etc. as required for parts finishing.
- Troubleshoot & correct errors, faults, or other conditions resulting in machine downtime
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment – including cutting heads, pumps, drives, filtration equipment, garnet removal, etc.
- Responsible for overall safety, cleanliness & operational efficiency of the equipment.
- Identify & implement support equipment and technology solutions to streamline manufacturing operations & increase operational efficiency.
- Perform routine maintenance on machinery.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances.
- Comply with internal quality checks.
- Understand mechanics of the equipment including high-pressured water system, pumps, and motors.
- Strong knowledge in laser and manufacturing processes and procedures
- Ability to read and understand blueprints
- Possesses a variety of common measuring tools such as but not limited to a tape measure, caliper, and micrometers
- Knows hand tools and is capable of operating a variety of forklifts
- Ability to interpret and follow an extensive variety of instructions and work orders, both verbal and written
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
While performing the duties of this job in the manufacturing environment the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud on occasion.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The position also requires sitting in an upright position using a computer, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, approximately 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Position requires evening and weekend hours on occasion.
No travel required.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent – desired
- Two years experience in waterjet &/or laser set-up/operation – preferred
- Experience with other sheet metal and plate fabrication – preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualification
Willingness to assist in other areas of the business as needed.
Peterson’s Welding & Machine is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities as well as other qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, or other protected class status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.